The annual Open Enrollment Period is over for 2016, but you may be able to get the health insurance you need IF you have a life event that qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period. Over the next several blogs, I plan to highlight these events.

Our next topic focuses on getting married.

When you marry or remarry, you may enroll, change from Self Only to Self with Family. You may also change from one plan or option to another. You must submit your enrollment change from 31 days before to 60 days after the change in your family status.

Family members eligible for coverage under your Self and Family enrollment include your spouse and children under the age of 26 (including, step, adopted and foster children.) This also includes children of same sex domestic and married partners.

Remember, you will need to provide the insurance company with valid proof, through documentation, of your recent marriage. They want to know when you got married and validate the license.

Stay tuned for our next blog about getting health care insurance outside of Open Enrollment.

Debbie Stroup
Independent Licensed Insurance Professional
Speir Financial Services